Ripe juicy plum, touches of sweet honey, the always satisfying salty/smokey/meaty bacon, brie melting all over it, and a touch of pungent blue cheese to pull it all together! This was probably one of the most interesting flavour profiles out of all the grilled cheeses I have done, and I loved it!
I was envisioning this one before going to bed, and thought of the plum, bacon, brie combo, then realized I had a tiny chunk of blue cheese in my fridge, and thought OOOH that would be perfect! Of course, ones memory is always a bit muddled when you wake up, and I nearly forgot to put the blue cheese on! Fortunately at the last minute I realized something was missing, I tossed it in and started grilling that cheese! It still would have been good without the blue cheese, but it added such a great flavour that finished the sandwich off perfectly.
Moral of the story: Add the blue cheese! (even though it’s such a small amount)
- 2 slices of french bread
- 2 slices of bacon
- 4-5 slices of brie cheese
- ½ a ripe plum
- 1-2 tsp blue cheese
- Place bacon in pan, turn to medium heat, cooking until desired crispness.
- Butter outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread honey on bottom slice of bread.
- Place bacon.
- Break up some brie cheese and place on top of the bacon, to keep plum slices from sliding around.
- Place sliced plum.
- Place the rest of the brie cheese.
- Crumble blue cheese on top of brie.
- Form sandwich and fry until golden brown on each side.