I’m slightly addicted to Pinterest (no, that’s a lie. I’m addicted….) and I kept on seeing pins with cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower bites, cauliflower imitating bread everywhere! After seeing so many of these pins I thought I’d put one to the test and landed on a recipe for Cauliflower Garlic Cheese “Bread” Sticks that looked pretty good so I gave it a whirl.
- 4 cups cauliflower, riced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ tsp Italian Herb seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cheese to top
- Start by ricing your cauliflower head. You can do this quite easily by grating the cauliflower head with a cheese grater.
- Place the riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until soft, roughly 6-8 minutes. Stir occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Once the cauliflower has cooled down a bit, add in your olive oil, garlic, beaten egg, spices and ¼ cup of the cheese.
- Mix until well combined and spread out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper until it’s about a ½ inch thick.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes until a golden crust starts to form. You can also broil it for a few minutes to allow the cheese to get nice and golden.
- Cut and serve with a marinara sauce.
These turned out pretty good. Of course not exactly like bread sticks, but a good healthy option. I actually think it would make a great pizza crust though when trying to avoid some carbs. If you have a pizza pan or stone, try using that to increase the crispiness. These are something I’ll make again and after all, isn’t the bread in the bread sticks just a vehicle to get garlic, cheese and marinara sauce into your mouth??