At work we have an Iron Chef Challenge once a month where a group of people cook off and have their dishes judged by a panel of fellow employees. This month’s secret ingredient is…. PESTO! Right away I knew I didn’t want to do something traditional with pesto, so I ventured off to what I know best: Dessert. I made a Basil Chocolate Cake with a Parmesan Sour Cream Cheese Icing and topped it off with some pine nuts and grated parmesan cheese. This is also one of the best things I’ve ever eaten – SERIOUS FOODGASM.
So let’s get to the recipe for the Basil Chocolate Cake. I also have to give thanks to Enlightened Cooking for such a good base recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot water
In a food processor, combine the sugar and basil leaves and blend until a smooth paste develops (will be slightly watery). Then beat together the sugar-basil mixture, cocoa powder and the melted butter. Add in one egg at a time. Add in your baking soda, vanilla and salt. Mix until blended and gradually add in the flour and finish with the hot water.
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese