In pursuit of all things cheesy, Spanakopita was one of the many things that came to mind. Not only does it contain one of my favourite ingredient pairings (spinach, garlic, and onions), it contains not one, but TWO types of cheese, feta and ricotta! It’s hard to beat all these things combined into beautifully flaky phyllo dough. BUT in the name of gourmet grilled cheese, I scrapped that flaky phyllo for buttery, crunchy, toasted bread, and created the Spanakopita Grilled Cheese! A creamy, garlicy, spinachy, salty, crunchy piece of heaven worthy of the pallette of Poseidon (why is there no Greek God of Spanakopita?!?)!
This grilled cheese came out as good as I was hoping! You have the creaminess of the ricotta on the top and bottom, sandwiching in your spinach mixture, with bits of salty feta, yum!
- olive oil
- ¾ cup (packed) chopped spinach
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- ½ clove minced garlic
- 2 tbsp ricotta
- 4-5 tbsp feta
- salt & pepper
- 2 slices of french bread
- In a pan on medium heat, add onion and some olive oil, cooking onion until beginning to soften.
- Add minced garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and green onion, once spinach begins to wilt, add feta, and salt & pepper to taste, cooking for another minute or two.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread one tablespoon of ricotta cheese on the inside of each slice.
- Place spinach mixture into sandwich.
- Cook sandwich until golden brown on each side.