Mmmm mmmm mmM! What a grilled cheese! Gooey cheese, crunchy potatoes, all my favourite parts of scalloped potatoes, in my favourite kind of sandwich! I gotta say potatoes certainly do go well in grilled cheese sandwiches (see Baked Potato Grilled Cheese). Now for me, the best part of scalloped potatoes is the crunchy potatoes you get on the side and the top, so that’s what I was looking to emphasize (and boy did I ever!). If you love the creaminess of scalloped potatoes, all you have to do is either, cook the potatoes less, so they’re not as crunchy, or boil down a quick creamy sauce with milk, butter, and flour to go in the grilled cheese. I almost want to make another right now just to try a saucier version!
Potatoes are definitely not something that you usually think of as a sandwich filling, but seriously they are so good! I’ve put them in the Baked Potato Grilled Cheese, Carlene put mashed potatoes in her Perogy Grilled Cheese, and now this one, and they were all amazing!
Scalloped Potato Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of french bread
- 1/2 russet potato
- 1 tbsp butter + more for bread
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1-2 tsp chopped green onion
- Get a pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Thinly slice your potato, toss in bowl with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder to taste.
- Once pan has heated, evenly spread potatoes in pan.
- Once first side has browned, flip potatoes and add milk, continuing to cook until milk has reduced and potatoes have browned.
- **If you want creamier potatoes, add 1/2 tbsp butter, 1/2 tbsp flour, mixing until combined, then add 1/2 cup of milk, stirring until thickened, and place potatoes back in pan to coat potatoes.**
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Place gruyere cheese on bottom slice, stack potatoes, place green onions, cheddar cheese, and top slice.
- Fry in a covered pan until golden brown on each side.