Behold my latest creation…THE BAKED POTATO GRILLED CHEESE! After the glory that was the Brocolli & Cheddar Soup Grilled Cheese, I began racking my brain for what other wonderful things I could deconstruct into grilled cheese format. Soon enough I had envisioned this piece of grilled cheese heaven! I mean how can you go wrong with fried potatoes, bacon, cheese, sour cream and chives all made into a melty grilled cheese? Well you can’t!
So here is how I went about making it.
Baked Potato Grilled Cheese
- 2-3 Strips of Bacon
- 4-5 slices Russet Potato
- 2 tbsp of Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Green Onions/Chives
- 2 Slices of crusty bread
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 dash Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a pan on medium-high heat, add enough canola oil to lightly cover bottom of the pan
- Fry bacon on medium heat until desired crispiness, remove from pan and reserve bacon grease
- In the pan with bacon grease, fry your potatoes until golden brown & crispy, add canola oil if necessary. Salt & pepper to taste, and sprinkle with a dash of garlic powder.
- Butter the outside of both slices of your bread
- Spread 1 tablespoon of sour cream on each slice of bread
- Place a 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on bottom slice of bread
- Top with cooked potato slices, bacon, more sour cream if desired, crumbled bacon, chives, remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and top slice of bread.
- Grilled sandwich in non-stick pan on medium-low heat until bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted
To start things off, get a pan on medium heat with enough canola oil to lightly cover the bottom (you could also use olive oil or butter). Cut your potato into even slices, you will need 4-5 slices for the sandwich, then place them in your pan, cooking each side until browned and crispy.
While cooking, salt and pepper the potatoes to taste (they don’t have to be too salty as the bacon with help with the saltiness as well) and sprinkle a light pinch of garlic powder. In another pan cook your bacon on medium heat to desired tenderness (I liked mine crispy for this sandwich!).
While everything is cooking, slice your bread (use some crusty bread like french or sourdough if you have it), and generously butter the outside of each piece. On the inside, put about 1 tablespoon of sour cream on each slice as well as slices of cheddar cheese on each side. Once your potatoes and bacon are finished frying, dab them on paper towel to remove some grease, then fan the potatoes out on your bottom slice of bread, put a little more sour cream on top of the potatoes if you desire (I did to help the bacon and chives stick in the sandwich). Slice up one green onion stalk and spread it on top of the potatoes along with the bacon. Place your other slice of cheese on top of all of this and top with your bread!
Now just grill the sandwich in a pan on medium heat until each side becomes golden brown. Once this is done, dig in and ENJOY!
To me the true test of a great sandwich is how long you still taste and crave it after eating it. I was definitely craving another one of these long after I finished it! The potato was crispy, but still soft in the center, topped with the smokey, salty bacon complemented by the green onions all melded between two crunchy slices of bread with cheese and sour cream! SOO GOOODD@#$*!!!
The point where I contemplate making another one.
Until my next grilled cheese,