My favourite kind of recipes are those that are easy, yet impressive, and buttermilk biscuits definitely meet that criteria! They take about 30 minutes start to finish, they use common household baking ingredients, and the smell/taste of freshly baked biscuits is amazing! What better way than a video, to show you how easy they are!
I actually shot and edited the majority of this video over a year ago, but for whatever reason I never completely finished it. Fortunately I was making biscuits last night, so I decided it was time to wipe off the cyber-dust it was collecting, finish the video, and finally post the damn thing!
Now that you’ve seen how easy the biscuits are, you can follow the more detailed recipe here:
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Whisk until combined
- Grate or chop butter into small squares, and mix into dough until combined. If grating your butter, freezing it first will make grating easier.
- Add buttermilk, mixing lightly until dough forms, but is still crumbly. Overworking the dough will make the biscuits less flaky.
- On a floured surface, spread dough out until it's about 1 inch thick, then using a round cutting tool, cut out biscuits, and place on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of each biscuit with melted butter.
- Bake biscuits for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Remove to cooling rack, let cool, then enjoy!
Along with these delicious biscuits, I whipped up some Honey Cinnamon Butter to spread on them. I’ll warn you though…it’s extremely addicting, and you will probably consume multiple biscuits, so butter at your own discretion!