I’ve always really liked carrot cake, but I’ve never actually made it before. This is likely because it’s one of my grandma’s specialities. However the calling came for a traditional dessert for a family dinner, I decided to give it a whirl and I’m quite happy with the results! It’s a classic homemade carrot cake that’s promised to make everyone happy.
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup drained canned crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream together your sugars, eggs and vanilla
- Sift together your dry ingredients and combine with wet
- Add in your grated carrots and pineapple and mix until well combined
- Pour into a 9x13 greased pan
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
Thanks to Canadian Living for the inspiration behind this carrot cake.
Now really what’s a carrot cake without a good cream cheese icing? I also amped the icing up a bit with some vanilla beans.
Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used Mexican vanilla)
- 1/8 tsp Wilton butter flavor
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1-2 tbsp milk or cream
Whip your cream cheese until it become nice and fluffy, add in your icing sugar followed by your vanilla, butter flavouring and vanilla beans. Lastly add in your milk until you get a smooth, thinner icing.
Top the cake with the icing once it’s completely cool.
Enjoy this classic carrot cake,