Hooooly maaaan. I’m not sure how much gluttonous punishment my body can take at this point. All I’ve gotta say is thank God for 25 year old male metabolism! As a Canadian, I feel, as a commitment to my country, a poutine grilled cheese had to join the ranks of National Grilled Cheese Month. Grilled bread, gravy, cheese curds, fries… I sent farewells and love to my family as I embarked upon this grilled cheese, unsure if I would make it through, certain an untimely demise was imminent. But alas, I am here, writing about it, with a renewed lust for life! This was one mean grilled cheese! Crunchy bread, with layers of rich gravy, salty, suuuper stringy melted cheese curds, surrounding crispy french fries! I suppose I can find solace in the fact that I used “healthier” fries, making this Baked French Fries to use in the grilled cheese!
As you can see above, some of the gravy even snuck out of a hole in the bread and received some tasty caramelization on the bread!
Poutine Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of french bread
- 6-8 baked french fries see baked french fries recipe
- 1 pack of instant gravy or real gravy if you have it
- 1/2 cup cheese curds
- Cook gravy according to package instructions.
- Get a pan on medium heat, place your cheese curds in the plan allowing them to get a head start on melting.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread a generous amount of gravy on each slice of bread.
- Place french fries (I used the crispiest ones I had).
- Place cheese curds on top of french fries, and form sandwich.
- Fry until golden brown on each side.