Another killer grilled cheese to report here! After buying some tuna for another recipe, it dawned on me that I could take the classic tuna melt, give it my signature twist and turn it into an amazing grilled cheese! And oh boy, was it delicious! Gruyere and cheddar holding it down on the outside, mixed with salty dill pickle, crunchy celery, a bite of fresh dill and green onion here and there, all surrounding the main attraction: Seared Tuna. Toss out your dry flaky canned tuna, there is a new sheriff in town! You’re still getting your beloved flaky tuna, but now it’s nice and moist, flaking off from around the juicy, tender, rare center of your tuna steak. Talk about gourmet grilled cheese!
The Seared Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of french bread
- 1 tuna steak
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup dill pickle chopped
- 1/4 of a celery stalk chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh dill
- Get a pan on medium-high heat.
- Drizzle your tuna steak with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.
- Once pan is heated, sear tuna for about one and a half minutes on each side.
- Remove tuna, turn heat to medium-low.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- On bottom slice, spread about a tablespoon of mayo.
- Place gruyere cheese, dill pickle, celery, green onion, and fresh dill.
- Place sliced tuna on top along with more fresh dill and cheddar cheese.
- Spread about a tablespoon of mayo on inside of top slice.
- Form sandwich.
- Place your sandwich in the pan, cover with lid, and turn to medium heat.
- Fry until golden brown on each side.