Today I found myself with an abundance of hot dogs in my fridge and no hot dog buns to be found. Now some people may just give up right there. Not me.
I was determined to eat two hot dogs for lunch.
I could have settled on eating them bunless, or on a slice of bread, but that just wasn’t doing it for me. Then I saw mini tortillas in my freezer, and I knew what I had to do…
I present to you Tortilla Hot Dog Wraps, or “Pigs in a Poncho” as some people call them! I kept my ingredients pretty simple, but please, add whatever you want to yours! These were delicious! Tasty hot dog, surrounded by gooey cheese, red onion, encased in a crunchy tortilla. YUM!
Tortilla Hot Dog Wraps
- 1 small tortilla
- 1 hot dog
- red onion
- shredded cheese
- canola oil
- Get a pan on medium-low heat, add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- If you want your hot dogs to poke out each end, then slice two of the edge off each tortilla (refer to picture).
- Place some red onion near bottom of tortilla, then sprinkle cheese on tortilla, and top with hot dog.
- Roll tightly around hot dog.
- Place in pan with the end of the tortilla on the bottom, which allows it to fry and stay closed.
- Rotate as each side becomes golden brown, cooking until the whole tortilla is golden brown.
- Remove to paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauces.
A simple, fun way to get out of your boring old hot dog rut!