I have had visions of creating a salad in this style for quite some time and finally got around to actually doing it the other day! Along with fancying up the presentation of a watermelon salad, I wanted to try marinating watermelon and this was the perfect opportunity!
Initially I had plans to add some baby arugula into the dish, unfortunately when I went to the grocery store they were all out, so I just had to make do without it!
This salad really transforms the watermelon into a savoury dish that felt surprisingly hearty! Marinating the watermelon adds subtle hints of lemon, honey and balsamic to the freshness of the watermelon, and pairing it with the feta, mint, bacon and red onion makes it much more savoury. Topping it all of with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar gives it a bit of needed acidity and a nice tang!
- Marinated Watermelon Slices
- 8-10 rectangles of watermelon (about 3×4 inches & ½ inch thick)
- juice of one lemon
- 4 mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbsp honey
- 2 marinated watermelon slices
- 4 tsp crumbled feta
- 2 mint leaves (chopped) + more for garnish
- ½ slice cooked bacon (chopped)
- few small slices of very thinly shaved red onions
- balsamic vinegar
- In a ziploc bag, combine watermelon slices and ingredients for marinade. Allow to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- To make the salad, place a slice of watermelon on the plate, top with 2 teaspoons of crumbled feta, then 1 chopped mint leaf.
- Place another watermelon slice on top.
- Top with another 2 teaspoons of crumbled feta, another chopped mint leaf, ½ a slice of chopped bacon, a few red onion shavings, and finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a mint leaf for garnish!
There you have it! A beautiful, delicious and fresh summer appetizer!