BS’ In the Kitchen was founded on April 23rd, 2010 by brother & sister duo, Bob & Carlene Deutscher! Born and raised in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada we have always enjoyed food and never hesitated to try our hand at cooking. Products of two amazing parents who may have coined the term “Under Parenting” (don’t worry it’s not as bad as it sounds!), they taught us to be independent and to learn how to do things on our own (instead doing everything for us – a.k.a. “Over Parenting”!). The independence they gave us, allowed us to roam free in the kitchen, make mistakes, but also make some delicious meals! Having always enjoyed cooking, in 2010, after becoming addicted to sites like Foodgawker and Tastespotting; learning more about the world of Food Blogging, we decided to start our own blog, thus BS’ In The Kitchen was born!
Starting a food blog has not only pushed us to become better, more passionate cooks & bakers, but also allowed us to step into the world of photography. We hope you’ll join us on our foodie adventures, as we reinvent traditional recipes, creating something new and delicious (hopefully) or try our hand at cooking the classics! You can count on Bob to cover most of the savory and hearty dishes, while Carlene takes care of the sweeter side of things with delightful desserts. Together, we believe BS’ In the Kitchen has a well-rounded view on food and the world around it!
Here are some quick facts about both of us:
The ‘B’ in the BS | Bob Deutscher
- Age: 25
- Camera: Nikon D800, I mainly use the Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro & 50mm 1.8G lens.
- Education: University of Saskatchewan, Bachelor of Commerce (Finance)
- Out of the Kitchen Job: I operate my own media company, where I do everything from videography, photography, music production, graphic design, marketing strategy, and more!
- Hobbies: Making Music (I play guitar, bass, banjo, keyboard and make hip-hop beats!), food, photography/videography, graphic design, web development.
- Favorite Food: SANDWICHES! At least I’m known for some pretty awesome sandwiches. But really I love trying new things, so I try not to dwell on one favourite!
- Favorite Ingredients: Salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil! You can make anything taste good with those basics! AND CHEESE.
- Favorite Kitchen Tool: Just give me a hot stove and a good pan!
- Secret Talent: I can wiggle my ears?
- Life Long Dream: I’m living it! Now that I am self-employed, my goal is to continue building a long fulfilling career doing what I love!
Follow more of Bob online:
- Website: http://bobdeutscher.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bobdeutschermedia
- Instagram: bobdeutscher
The ‘S’ in the BS | Carlene Deutscher
- Age: 27
- Camera: Canon 5D Mark II and Canon Rebel xSi, along with a small collection of lenses, a speed lite flash and lighting apparatuses. I mainly use my 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 for the blog.
- Education: University of Saskatchewan, Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing)
- Out of the Kitchen Job: Marketing & Communications Specialist
- Hobbies: Running (ran two half marathons in 2011), Lifestyle Photography (http://www.facebook.com/CarleneDeutscherPhotography), horseback riding, fishing, painting, reading, dog training, gardening, camping, hiking and kayaking.
- Favorite Food: Really? Do I have to pick this? I love all foods! Top favs: S’more cookies, potatoes & fresh fruit from our parent’s orchard.
- Favorite Ingredient: Vanilla Extract. I seriously can’t get enough and usually double and triple it in all my recipes!
- Favorite Kitchen Tool: I would probably have to say my KitchenAid mixer – just makes mixing so easy & hassel free!
- Secret Talent: I was the only kid at the age of 5 that could make the wolves howl at our local zoo during a contest.
- Life Long Dream: Own a kitchen-aid mixer (check!) and a pony (still waiting….)
Follow more of Carlene online:
Got a question, comment or idea? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org