Yesterday was wine and cheese, and today I present another classic pairing: tomato soup and grilled cheese! Sometimes the simplest pairings are the most delicious, such is the case with this grilled cheese. Gooey cheese and a layer of concentrated tomato soup spread on each slice brings that classic flavour right into the palm of your hands. No spoons needed!
I must admit, my first attempt at this one was a complete disaster, see exhibit a)
For my first attempt, I tried to do this french toast style, adding a little milk to the soup concentrate, dipping the bread in, then frying it. Of course this ended in a soggy grilled cheese mess, but boy was it delicious! Not one to be wasteful, I grabbed a fork and dug in. Cheese melting all over the place, tomato soup juicing everywhere, a caramelized crust of tomato soup and cheese, such a beautiful mess!
Once I got this out of the way (and into my belly), I proceeded to plan B, which fortunately what a success!
- 2 slices French bread
- 2-4 tbsp tomato soup concentrate
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Get a pan on medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread enough tomato soup concentrate to cover the inside of each slice of bread.
- Place cheese.
- Form sandwich, grill in pan until golden brown on each side, cover pan to assist melting.
I know some people aren’t big fans of the grandiose grilled cheese sandwiches, so this one is for you guys! Super simple, still classic, just slightly reinvented!