Let this mark the beginning of our month long ode to the almighty Grilled Cheese! As part of National Grilled Cheese Month (possibly the best month ever), we are going to be posting a new grilled cheese EVERY DAY, yes you read that right! Every day tune-in to BS’ in the Kitchen and treat your visual tastebuds to some amazing new grilled cheeses (and THEY WILL be amazing!).
To start things off I present the Smoked Salmon Bagel Grilled Cheese, all the classic flavours of a smoked salmon bagel, with some Gruyere cheese, grilled to perfection! And when I say perfection, I mean it! This sandwich/bagel was amazing! I don’t even like smoked salmon that much, but it paired really well with the Gruyere cheese, I couldn’t get enough! You get the crisp exterior of the bagel, a smooth, creamy layer of cream cheese, a subtle bite from the red onion mixed in with the smokey, nutty flavour from the salmon and Gruyere. Then every couple of bites, there is a burst of pickled-vinegary flavour from the capers and a fresh bite of dill. The ingredients balanced each other so well and made for one unreal grilled cheese!
- smoked salmon
- ½ Gruyere cheese
- cream cheese
- red onion
- fresh dill
- poppy seed (optional)
- Get a pan on medium heat.
- Slice the top and bottom off the bagel, giving you two thin, flat slices of bread.
- Spread cream cheese on the inside of each slice.
- Grate about ½ cup of Gruyere, spread half on bottom slice.
- Place your smoked salmon on top.
- Place slices of red onion.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of capers.
- Evenly spread fresh dill.
- Sprinkle the rest of your Gruyere.
- Place top slice.
- Butter the outside of the sandwich.
- Grill in your pan until golden brown on each side and cheese is melted.
Daphne kept poking her head and paw into the frame trying to get the bagel when I was testing out my lighting! BAD KITTY!
Once your sandwich is done frying, if you are serving it for somebody and want to fancy it up a bit, sprinkle a couple pinches of poppy seeds over the top, and place some dill and capers in the middle of the sandwich. I love all the different colours this sandwich has!
I hope everyone enjoyed the first grilled cheese offering for this month of wonderful sandwiches! If you have sandwich lovers in your life, make sure to share these recipes and spread the word! You can also subscribe via email in the column to the right and get a new sandwich in your inbox everyday!
Happy National Grilled Cheese Month!