In a never ending quest to expand my culinary horizons and due to a large amount of fresh basil in my fridge, I decided it was time to try making pesto for the first time!
It certainly won’t be my last!
This stuff was delicious! I ate a significant amount just “taste-testing” the pesto and I had to stop myself before it got out of hand and I ate it all! Along with trying my hand at pesto, I figured why not shoot a video for it too right!? I wanted to try a different editing style on this video, and decided to channel my inner James Brown and make a funky piece of music to go along with my vision. I gotta say I’m pretty happy with the results!
What do you guys think? Should I give up food blogging and become a SOUL MAN?? HEEYY!
Anyways, check out the video and make this recipe, the pesto was delicious! I put it on a pizza, and I think I will try it on some pasta next!
Pesto + VIDEO
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups packed fresh basil stems removed
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- *This recipe makes about a 1/2 cup of pesto.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the basil for about 10 seconds and remove to ice cold water cool the basil.
- Drain most of the water out of the basil.
- In a food processor, add your pine nuts, processing a few times, until the nuts are roughly chopped.
- Add your basil, processing until chopped and combined with the nuts.
- Add in your garlic, processing for a few seconds.
- Add your parmesan, process until combined.
- Finally, if you have a food processor with a hole in the top, slowly add your olive oil while it processes, allowing it to mix in with the rest of the ingredients. If like me, you don't have a fancy food processor, add the oil in three parts, processing until pesto reaches your desired consistency!
- Add a few pinches of salt to taste and enjoy!
That’s all there is to it! Hope you enjoyed the video and make yourself some pesto in the near future!