Now I’m no authority on Philly Cheese Steaks, I haven’t had many in my life, but I must admit to fantasizing about those delicious things on more than one occasion. Plenty of meat, cheese, caramelized onions, and whatever you may want to add on to it! A sandwich after my own heart! Or just a sandwich trying to stop my own heart…
Once I decided on doing this grilled cheese, I started researching Philly Cheese Steaks, looking for THE authentic recipe. I’ll tell you right now, you won’t find one! It seems the only constant is that delicious thinly sliced steak (chips), and for locals, an Amoroso Roll. Some use cheez whiz, american cheese, or provolone. Some have onion, some have green pepper. There are many variations, but for mine, I settled on adding provolone, onions, and green peppers to that delicious steak!
What a sandwich! Juicy steak, savoury caramelized onions, tangy green pepper, smothered in melted provolone, sooo soo good!
Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 slices of white onion about 1/3 cup
- 8-10 thin slices of green bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup heaping of thinly sliced steak
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 Slices of provolone
- 2 slices of french bread
- In a pan on medium heat, add olive oil.
- Slice onion, and chop slices in half, adding to pan once heated.
- Once the onions begin to soften (after about 5 minutes), add sliced green pepper, and minced garlic, cooking for about two minutes.
- Add in sliced steak, along with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook until steak is done to your liking (should only take a few minutes). Add more salt & pepper if necessary.
- Spread butter on the outside of each slice of bread, spread mayonnaise on the inside of both slices.
- Place steak mix on bread, top with provolone cheese and bread.
- Place in pan, turn heat to medium, cooking until golden brown on each side.
Well now I’m hungry for another Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese after writing this blog post! Guess I better go make another one…