Stacks of smoked meat.
Layers of melted cheese curds.
Mustard smeared rye bread.
It’s a Montreal smoked meat sandwich on steroids (a.k.a. with cheese). Juicy smoked meat, rich, salty cheese curds, paired with lots of tangy mustard, sandwiched between two pieces of crunchy rye bread, I’ll be tasting this one for days! I sat there like a proud Canadian would, devouring this sandwich in my plaid flannel shirt, and YES I even spilled mustard on it! It was a glorious moment, and though I have not an inch of French in me, I proudly ate this Montreal inspired meat and cheese fest. After that gluttony I was inspired to print my logo on Montreal poutine and smoke meat shirts, it’s worth a try as they are so popular.
The Montreal Grilled Cheese
- 2 slice of rye bread
- 3 slices of Montreal smoked meat
- 1/2 cup cheese curds.
- Get a pan on medium heat, place cheese curds in pan while it is heating to help the cheese curds to melt.
- While an is heating, butter the outside of each slice of bread, and spread a generous amount of mustard on the inside of each slice.
- Layer your smoked meat, top with your cheese curds and form sandwich.
- Fry in a covered pan until golden brown on each side.
Just like a traditional Montreal smoked meat sandwich, this grilled cheese was super simple but packed with flavour! I thought the addition of cheese curds may have been too much for this classic sandwich, but I have to say, it just made even better! This definitely won’t be the last time I add cheese to a smoked meat sandwich!