The essence of camping is all about forgetting those modern day conveniences, “roughing it”, and getting back to the basics! Of course, this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious dessert! Through the miracle that is aluminum foil, we open up a whole world of delicious campfire delicacies, one of those being Apple Crisp!
Watch us enjoy this on CTV Morning Live – Saskatoon!
Of course, you definitely don’t need to stop at apple. Get creative! Maybe you went berry picking on a hike? Well, make yourself a berry crisp! Use whatever fruit tickles your fancy, and I’m sure you’ll end up with something equally delicious to this classic dessert!
- 3-4 apples (chopped)
- ⅓ cup oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2-3 tbsp white sugar
- aluminum foil
- In a bowl add oats, brown sugar, whole wheat flour and butter, mixing with a fork until pieces of butter are evenly dispersed throughout the mixture.
- Add in your chopped apples, cinnamon, and white sugar, mixing together.
- Take three long pieces of aluminum foil (about a foot and a half), fold each side up and pinch the ends together forming a boat-like shape.
- Place the ingredients in the center of the aluminum foil, folding the sides over and pinching to seal the package.
- You can also make individual packages, by folding like the image above!
- Place on a grate over the fire pit, cooking for about 15-20 minutes.
- If your fire doesn’t have a grate, place the package in the fire pit, on the edge furthest from the flames, rotating once after 10 minutes of cooking.
If you really wanted to, you could probably get away with eating this at breakfast too! I mean, it has oats AND apples in it, so that’s pretty breakfasty if you ask me! If you don’t want to fuss around with a bunch of ingredients, you can also use the dry ingredients from apple & cinnamon instant oatmeal and just add some apples!