Bob and I are always excited when CTV contacts us about being on their Morning Live TV show. Themed cooking seems to be our TV calling and this time it was all in the spirit of luuuuurve for Valentine’s Day or Singles Awareness Day – however you choose to celebrate it. So what says love better than two perfect little red velvet whoopie pie cookies sandwiched together with the love of a cream cheese filling! You can even oomph up the love factor and cut them into adorable little hearts (*insert ‘awwww’ or ‘gag’ here*) Mmmmm…. either way, red velvet just sounds just delightful to me! Let’s get to the recipe so you can make these for your someone special.
Watch me make these Whoopie Pies on CTV Morning Live – Saskatoon:
- 8 oz (1 block) cream cheese
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 boxes Red Velvet cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Sift the cake mix to ensure that no lumps of cake mix will be in your whoopie pies
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil until a smooth, thick batter appears
- Scoop by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet just like you would cookies
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and once done, let completely cool before icing
- For the filling, start by creaming your cream cheese for 2-3 minutes, then add in your icing sugar cup by cup followed by your vanilla extract.
- Using a butter knife, spread the filling on one side of a whoopie cookie and sandwich with another to create your perfect whoopie pie.
One of the things I like about this recipe is that it’s not complicated and pretty quick and easy to make. Don’t hesitate to try different cake mixes too – they don’t have to be red velvet; chocolate, confetti, vanilla – your options are endless. The world is your playground – just be creative and have some fun. Get extra fancy pants and roll the outside of the frosting in sprinkles!
Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone (or Singles Awareness Day – however you choose to celebrate ),
Lots of Love from BS’ in the Kitchen,