It’s that time of the year… Squash season!
Thanks to my mother planting copious amount of spaghetti squash this year, I have been racking my brain, trying to think of different ways to use that delicious vegetable! In the past, I have always kept it quite simple, roasting the spaghetti squash, then mixing in some diced tomato and onion, which makes a perfectly delicious meal. But this time I wanted to really take advantage of the squash and the fact that it makes a perfect little boat for other ingredients when cut in half.
I stuffed the squash with spinach, tomatoes, red onion, basil, and goat cheese, then topped it off with the roasted seeds. Roasting everything all at once makes this recipe super easy, and allows the squash to soak up some flavour from the filling. Topping it with the squash seeds gives it an extra crunch, and some nice roasted flavour.
**Recipe note – one reader mentioned his squash took about 45 minutes to cook, if using a larger squash, I would suggest pre-roasting the squash for 15 minutes before placing the ingredients inside.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- salt & pepper
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 tomato (diced)
- olive oil
- red onion (to taste)
- goat cheese
- squash seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut your squash in half, removing seeds.
- Remove seeds from rind for roasting.
- Place squash halves in a roasting dish.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper to taste on the inside of each half of squash.
- Place 1-2 handfuls of spinach, top with diced tomatoes, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Thinly slice red onion, and add to taste.
- Add in a few leaves of chopped basil per half of squash.
- Top with a generous amount of goat cheese, and sprinkle with a little more salt & pepper.
- Place squash in oven, roasting for about 20-30 minutes.
- On a small pan, spread out your squash seeds, sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Place squash seeds in the oven, removing once lightly browned (after about 10-15 minutes).
- Once the squash has finished roasting, remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped squash seeds, and serve!