Just like Saskatoon berries, raspberries are in full force at our family acreage. Raspberries are great for freezing, eating fresh or making jams, but I was interested in making something more with them, so when I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew I had to give it a try! A friend also tried this recipe but switched up some of the dark chocolate with milk chocolate and it tasted amazing, so I kept that change when I made the bars for one of our Sunday family dinners. Let’s get to the recipe so you can try it for yourself.
Chocolate Raspberry Pie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can 10 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2- 21 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Miix butter until smooth and creamy, add in brown sugar, flour and salt. Continue mixing until crumbly.
- Press 1¾ cups of crumb mixture into the baking pan. Set remaining crumbs aside.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, pour the condensed milk into a sauce pan and add one cup of dark chocolate chips. Stir over low heat until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour milk chocolate/milk mixture over the warm crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs evenly over chocolate layer. Spoon raspberries over crumb mixture and top with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into bars.
- Store in the fridge.
I think you could play around with these bars quite a bit – add nuts, add different kind of chocolate, really anything that think would match well with raspberries!
Enjoy this fresh summer time treat,