Even though I love salad, for whatever reason, I never make it for myself. With that realization, I decided it was time to experiment. After tossing some ideas around (bad pun?), this is what I came up with!
- 1 Leek shoot chopped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 Handful chopped mushroom
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Handful Spinach
- Half an apple
- Lemon Juice
- Couple pinches of salt
- 1 Fried Egg salt & peppered
- In a pan on medium heat saute mushrooms with a tablespoon of butter.
- Once mushrooms soften, add another tablespoon of butter, your leeks, pine nuts, and garlic and sauteing for 5-10 minutes.
- While sauteing, julienne your apple and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Once your mushrooms, leeks, pine nuts and garlic are done sauteing, remove them from your pan and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In your pan, fry an egg sunny side up (runny yolk).
- While your egg is frying, mix your spinach and apple into your mixing bowl, with the rest of the ingredients and a couple pinches of salt.
- Serve and top with fried egg.
If you prefer your salad with more dressing, than feel free to drizzle a little olive oil and some lemon juice, or maybe even try whipping up an apple vinaigrette?! I let the salad dress itself, allowing the apples to give off their juices along with the lemon that was on them. That mixed together with the egg yolk worked perfectly for me, providing a lightly dressed salad, with great texture and a variety of flavours!