I hate the word synergy, or at least the whole 1+1=3 concept, but I’ve gotta say, all the components in this dish really amounted to more than just a sum of its parts! This dish is all about taking the time to really focus on each ingredient, so the combination creates something extremely delicious! Fresh tomato coulis, homemade mayonnaise, sourdough bread made from scratch, and an arrangement of delicious greens grown in my own yard! I knew this was going to be tasty, but it turned out even better than I was hoping.
Head over to the Tomato Coulis, and Homemade Mayo recipes before you get into this one! Although I haven’t had time to post up any sourdough recipes, if you don’t have a go to bread recipe, I would suggest getting something fresh from a local bakery. You can expect a whole run-down on creating a sourdough starter, maintaining it, and making bread with it in the future!
- 1 slice of sourdough bread
- Homemade mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp tomato coulis
- Baby lettuce
- Pea shoots
- Cherry tomato
- 1 slice of bacon
- 2 slices of serrano ham
- Salt & pepper
- Start by frying your bacon in a pan on medium heat.
- Once fried, remove bacon, and chop into bits.
- In the same pan, add in your slice of sourdough bread, frying it in the bacon fat.
- Using a spoon, spread tomato coulis on the outer edge of the plate, creating a circle.
- Cut bread into small rectangle slices, spread mayo on each slice, sprinkle salt & pepper to taste, then top with baby lettuce, serrano ham, tomatoes, a chive, and a dollop of mayo.
- Place in the centre of the plate, then around the outside, sprinkle bacon bits, place baby lettuce, and pea shoots.
Even if you don’t want to get fancy with this recipe, get some fresh bread, spread some tomato coulis on one half, mayo on the other, and layer all the other ingredients in there, and you will be on your way to a delicious sandwich!