It has been quite some time since I have enjoyed a grilled sandwich, and as you know, they have kind of been this blog’s claim to fame! Being in the mood, I picked up some deli meat, and went about creating something with what else I had on hand. I knew the trio of Spanish deli meats would go great with the tomato coulis in my fridge, along with some homemade mayo, fresh bread, and other fresh ingredients from my garden, I was on my way to a killer sandwich!
The Spanish Deli Sandwich
- 2 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp tomato coulis
- 1 tbsp homemade mayo
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 1 handful of chopped kale greens
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 slices of chorizo
- 3-4 slices salchichon sausage
- 3-4 slices of serrano ham
- 2-3 slices of tomato
- 1 thin slice of red onion
- 4-5 slices cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil to medium heat, then add kale, half of the red onion, a smashed garlic clove, and chopped serrano ham. Sauté for a couple minutes until kale softens, adding a little bit of salt & pepper. Remove from pan, throwing away the garlic clove.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread about a tablespoon of tomato coulis on the inside of your bottom slice of bread, and about one tablespoon of homemade mayo on the inside top slice.
- Place the basil leaves on the bottom slice, followed by your tomato slices, the salchichon and chorizo, finishing with your sauteed kale mix, the rest of your red onions, and the cheddar cheese.
- In a pan on medium heat, grill until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Slice and serve!
This sandwich was seriously soo good! So many flavours, but I think the fresh sourdough really made it! It got such a nice crisp outside, while staying soft underneath. Amazing!
Now go make yourself a sandwich!