A friend recently asked if I could develop a creamy soup, but make it lactose free. I thought it was an interesting challenge, so off to the grocery I went to pick up some ingredients that were lactose free. I should also mention this is the inaugural dish that I’ve made in my new kitchen! 🙂 I’m quite happy that this recipe turned out, so let’s get to it:
- 1 Yellow Potato (grated)
- 1 tsbp Olive Oil
- 1 tsbp Dehydrated Parsley
- 1 tbsp Fleischmann’s Lactose Free Margarine (can be found at Sobey’s)
- 2 cups plain Soy Milk (make sure you don’t get vanilla!!)
- 1/2 cup Corn Niblets
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- 2 tsp Dehydrated Onions
- 1/2 cup warmed soy milk – stir in 1/2 tsp corn starch til completely smooth – add to soup
- 1 potato cubed (you can microwave them for 4 minutes before adding to the soup to soften them up & shorten cooking time)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
The soup is pretty simple to make, combine all ingredients and stir over a medium heat for approx. 30 mins. Just make sure to add your cubed potatoes last. Feel free to add more/less spices to suit your taste!
I hope this recipe can fill the craving for something creamy for those who have a lactose free diet! If anyone else has any other dietary restrictions and are looking for a new recipe, feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll see if we can muster something up!