It’s that time of year again. Christmas! It’s also time for another BS’ in the Kitchen cooking segment on CTV Morning Live Saskatoon. Given that it is Christmas time, it was only appropriate to do something fitting of the season.
I was first introduced to strata by my girlfriend, whose Mom makes a large one for breakfast every Christmas morning. Being that I’m swamped with work, I really didn’t have time to think up some elaborate Christmas themed recipe, instead opting for a delicious dish that could be easily and quickly made for either a group breakfast, or even as an appetizer! So here you go, Mini Breakfast Strata! It is super delicious!
Mini Breakfast Strata
- 200 g frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 1/2 cups of diced ham
- 1/2 cup packed diced spinach
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 5 eggs
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Once you have thawed your puff pastry, on a floured surface, flatten the dough with a floured rolling pin until quite thin, and covers about a 12x12 inch area.
- Using a circle cutter, or mouth of a cup, cut circles out of the puff pastry large enough to fill the bottom of a muffin tin.
- Place puff pastry in the bottom of each muffin cup. You should be able to fill 12-15 cups.
- Whisk your eggs in a bowl, add salt & pepper.
- Now begin layering your ingredients on top of the puff pastry. I layered ham, spinach, mushroom, red pepper, green onion, then poured in 2-3 tablespoons of egg, and topped with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 400F for about 20-25 minutes until it has puffed and cheese becomes golden brown on top.
- Remove the mini strata with a spoon and serve!
The great thing about these mini stratas, is how easy they are to make and customize to your liking, making them perfect for a large group who may have differing tastes and what to make their own creations!
What would you put in your mini strata?