Every time I cook a recipe from Bon Appetit, I am consistently impressed with how good it is, and this one is no exception! What a great trio of flavours this dish had. At it’s base there was rich, flaky salmon with a beautiful pan-seared crust, on a bed of hearty collard greens, finished off with a side of cool, refreshing Radish Raita. Having never actually eaten collard greens, and having seen them recently at the local Sobey’s, my interest was peaked when I came across this recipe in Bon Appetit’s March issue.
Pan Roasted Salmon with Collard Greens & Radish Raita
- Radish Raita
- 2 tbsp peeled & shredded white turnip
- 2 tbsp shredded cucumber
- 1/4 cup plain 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped mint leaf
- Light pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
- Collard Greens
- 10-15 collard green leaves stems & center rib removed
- 1 clove of garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red radish sliced thin
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Shred turnip and cucumber, squeezing out excess moisture, and mix with greek yogurt, lemon juice, mint and cayenne. Salt & pepper to taste and refrigerate.
- Add olive oil to large pan on medium heat, add garlic, cooking for about a minute. Add collard greens, reduce heat to low, tossing occasionally and cooking until tender (10-15 minutes).
- While collard greens are cooking, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat.
- Salt & pepper salmon, place in pan, cover with lid, cooking for about 5 minutes per side.
- Before removing collard greens, add sherry vinegar, radishes, and salt and pepper to taste, continue cooking for about a minute.
- Place collard greens on plate, top with salmon, and place radish raita on the side.
Even though this recipe had several parts, it was simple to make, definitely staying true to Bon Appetit’s “Fast, Easy, Fresh” theme in their March issue. Given that I prefer quick and simple recipes, this section of the magazine appealed greatly to me! Stay tuned for another “Fast, Easy, Fresh” recipe for pork chops in the near future!