In an effort to use up all the meat and cheese in my fridge, I am constantly running ingredients through my mind trying to think of delicious pairings. Upon gazing into the heavenly glow of my fridge, my eyes settled on several ingredients: roasted red pepper, spicy Italian capocollo (/capicolla), red onion, and Gouda cheese. It all sounded great in my mind, and was no disappointment when I put it together!
I always try to strike a balance with my grilled cheeses, and this one certainly had that! A sweet tang from the roasted red pepper, spice and meatiness from the hot capocollo, red onions lightly caramelized so they still retain a slight bite, all smoothed out with creamy Gouda cheese. Now go make yourself a grilled cheese, you deserve it!
Roasted Red Pepper, Hot Capocollo & Gouda Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper sliced
- 4-5 slices hot capocollo capicolla cold cut
- 1 slice of red onion
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- Salt & pepper
- 2 slices french bread
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place red bell pepper on rack with cookie sheet on the rack below. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until skin is blistered and blackened.
- Once cooked remove to glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, allowing the pepper to steam and loosen the skin. Once cool enough to handle, peel skin off with your fingers.
- While roasting the red pepper, in a pan on medium heat, fry your capocollo for a few minutes until lightly crisped.
- In the same pan, place red onion, sauteing for about 1-2 minutes to lightly caramelize.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- On bottom slice, place half of your sliced roasted red pepper, the capocollo, red onions, lightly salt & pepper it, and top with shredded Gouda.
- In a pan on medium heat, fry sandwich until golden brown and cheese is melted.