Given the popularity of this wrap Carlene made a while back, I knew I had to do a grilled cheese version of it! Well folks, it’s popular for a reason! This was so delicious! Meaty portobello mushroom, sweet roasted red pepper, fresh basil, and all that creamy goat cheese! I can still taste it! This one takes a little more prep work since you have to roast the red pepper, and portobello mushroom, but that just means tossing them in the oven for 30 minutes while you do other things!
Roasted Red Pepper, Portobello & Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese
Meaty portobello mushroom, sweet roasted red pepper, fresh basil, and load of creamy goat cheese make this one delicious sandwich!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 portobello mushroom
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic Powder
- 2-3 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 60 grams of goat cheese half a small package
- 2 slices of french bread
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- While oven is preheating, brush mushroom with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder, paprika, & salt & pepper.
- Once oven is preheated, place mushroom and red pepper directly on rack. Place cookie sheet below to catch any dripping juice.
- Cook portobello about 15-20 minutes before removing, cook red pepper about 30 minutes, or until skin is black and blistering.
- After removing red pepper, place in a glass bowl with lid, or plastic wrap covering the top. This steams the red pepper, making the skin easier to remove.
- Once red pepper has cooled enough to handle, remove skin by rubbing/pulling with fingers.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, spread mayo on the inside of each slice.
- Place slices of roasted red pepper (I used half the pepper), slices of portobello mushroom, chopped basil, and enough goat cheese to cover the sandwich (about 60 grams in my case). Add more salt & pepper is desired.
- In a pan on medium heat with a lid, cook grilled cheese until browned and cheese is melting.
Absolutely mouthwatering! Definitely one of my favourite flavour combinations…thanks for sharing!!