Many of my grilled cheese creations stem from deconstructing a traditional dish, and turning it into a sandwich format (because sandwiches are simply the best!). For this one, I took my inspiration from the classic Chicken Cordon Bleu, a dish where chicken is stuffed with ham and swiss cheese, and often covered with a creamy sauce. Now you can enjoy this savoury meal between your fingertips instead of with fork and knife!
- 1 chicken thigh/breast (sliced or pounded thin)
- 1 egg (scrambled)
- ⅓ cup panko
- salt & pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- 2 slices of deli ham
- ½ cup shredded swiss cheese
- ½ tbsp cream of chicken soup concentrate
- Get pan on medium heat, with enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pound or slice chicken thin.
- In separate dishes, place flour, bread crumbs (seasoned with salt & pepper), and a beaten egg.
- Coat both sides of chicken with flour (dredge).
- Place dredged chicken into egg wash, let excess egg run off chicken, then place into panko crumbs, coating both sides of the chicken.
- Place into frying pan, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- While chicken is cooking, butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread chicken soup concentrate on bottom slice, and mayonnaise on top slice.
- Place two slices of ham on bottom slice.
- Once chicken is done cooking, place on top of ham, then place swiss cheese, and top slice of bread.
- Place in pan, turn heat to medium and cover, cooking until golden brown on each side.
I loved how this sandwich turned out! The thin, crispy chicken was super juicy, adding great texture, and was delicious with all that gooey Swiss cheese and ham!