Today I realized I hadn’t posted anything on this blog for the last month and a half…since starting this blog over three years ago, it’s been updated fairly regularly, and while there have been slow months, there has always been a few new recipes each month…until now…almost. Coming to that realization, I knew I needed to take some time today and at least post one thing, because I feel really bad about how neglected this blog has become.
For those who have been sticking around, I thank you! I definitely don’t want to neglect the blog, and have no plans to stop blogging, it’s just been a very busy several months. All though things are quite busy, it’s awesome and a blessing when starting your own business! Although I have been away from the blog, I’ve been doing plenty of food related work. I’ve continued shooting recipe videos and blogging for tablespoon.com, creating and managing a visual marketing campaign for Ayden Kitchen & Bar (Top Chef Canada winner Dale MacKay’s new restaurant), and more recently becoming the video editor for a hunting TV show! It’s been a busy few months, and I don’t see it slowing down, but i’m learning a ton, and getting better at managing several projects at once!
I suppose I should get to the recipe now! This should have been posted last month along with the two other spaghetti squash recipes, but better late than never right?! I was really happy with how this recipe turned out even though I got sidetracked and cooked the eggs a little longer than planned it was still super tasty. There was still plenty of runny yolk (as you can see in the picture below), which you can bet I smashed with my fork and mixed into all the other ingredients! It was a delicious, hearty, healthy breakfast, and yet another way to use up the abundance of spaghetti squash from the fall.
Breakfast Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 spaghetti squash
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1-2 handfuls chopped spinach
- 1 handful diced mushroom
- 2 slices of ham chopped
- 1-2 thin slices of red onion chopped in half
- 1 handful of cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 handful of green onions chopped
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice squash in half and clean out seeds.
- Sprinkle squash with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spread tomato sauce in squash.
- Place spinach, followed by mushrooms, ham, red onion and cheese, followed by another sprinkle of salt & pepper.
- Once oven is preheated, bake squash for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes crack two eggs into the spaghetti squash and continue to bake until egg reaches your desired doneness (about 15-20 minutes).
- Finish with salt & pepper and serve.
This isn’t an exact recipe, it’s all about adding ingredients to your liking! I encourage you to switch some ingredients too. Perhaps you want to swap the ham for bacon? Add a different kind of cheese? Go for it! It’s your breakfast :).