In an effort to alleviate the pressures of Valentines Day, I bring you Seared Tuna! A gift sure to please many! Well not exactly a gift…but for those looking to cook an impressive and tasty supper, yet fearing a dinner date disaster, this one is for you. Seared tuna is a pretty fail safe entree if you ask me. Its like coloring in the lines. Literally. As it cooks, watching the side of your tuna steak, you can see the color gradually change from the dark to light, telling you how done it is, and if that’s not enough, it takes less than five minutes to cook!!
For those people who haven’t cooked tuna, just think about this: It’s one of the few things that actually tastes good coming from a can (canned chicken, ham, corned beef – BARF). Okay Canned Unicorn Meat would probably be amazing, but I digress. Let’s get to the recipe (there’s not much to it).
Watch me make it on CTV Morning Live here:
Lemon Pepper Seared Tuna
- 1 tuna steak
- Olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Get a pan on medium to medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of tuna with olive oil.
- Salt & pepper both sides.
- Once your pan is hot, begin cooking tuna, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side. To get an idea for how cooked your tuna is, just watch as the color changes the longer it cooks.
- Once the first side has finished cooking, and you have flipped the tuna over, squeeze your lemon over top of the tuna.
- This will give you a rare to medium-rare tuna (think of it like a regular steak! You still want it pink in the middle).
- Once your tuna is done cooking, slice it and serve it on it's own, or on a bed of rice or salad.
There you have it! A super easy, yet impressive looking dinner for date night, or just a great meal when you need something on the table quickly! If you wish to pair it with a salad like I’ve done here, you can see my recipe for the Mustard Greens Salad here.